The Board develops policy with the assistance of management, and with input from education partners and the public.
There are two other administrative directives and guidance documents:
- Regulations are developed by senior management to offer clear direction and guidance to carry out Board policies, goals and objectives.
- Practices and/or Guidelines are developed by staff and approved by department heads to provide information and assistance to various department members to effectively and correctly complete their work.
The Board of Education School District No. 83 (North Okanagan-Shuswap) Policy Manual can be found here: Policy Manual
The Policy Manual is a searchable PDF (using PDF tools) and is set up so the policy and any regulations are together. Please note that the Policy Manual is currently being updated and revised. Board policies that are currently under revision include:
- Policy 121 – Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity
- Policy 138 – Electronic Board Meetings and Livestreaming
- Policy 160 – Policy Development
- Policy 220 – Inquiries and Concerns
- Policy 230 – Parent Advisory Councils
- Policy 240 – Volunteers in Schools
- Policy 250 – Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy
- Policy 260 – Distribution of Information or Materials
- Policy 270 – Corporate Advertising and Sponsorship
- Policy 310 – Student Code of Conduct
- Policy 311 – Student Suspensions
The public can provide feedback on any of the above policies using this link.
Bylaws are also passed by the Board of Education to clearly set out the specific rules, not covered by legislation, by which the board will be governed.
Do you want to initiate a policy? The Board will receive this completed form from any individual or group (parents, employees, students, community groups, etc.) who is interested in changing or improving Board Policy. A consultation process will follow the Boards’ consideration of this issue.
Here is our Policy Initiation form: Policy Initiation Form Fillable