The Ministries of Education and Health regularly share updates, which SD83 is sharing with our parents and communities.
Tomorrow (Wednesday, May 20) there is an opportunity for those parents with questions about schools being re-opened starting June 1 to ask them! At 7:15 p.m. Education Minister Rob Fleming, and BC School Trustees Association president, Stephanie Higginson, will take questions, for a Virtual Education Townhall Meeting livestreamed on the B.C. Government Facebook page – https://www.facebook.com/BCProvincialGovernment/. This meeting is being hosted by MLA for Delta North Ravi Kahlon.
Questions for the townhall can be submitted up until noon tomorrow here – https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/safety/emergency-preparedness-response-recovery/covid-19-provincial-support/covid-19-townhalls
Update – May 19, 2020
Today, Dr. Bonnie Henry and Minister Dix, announced 2 new cases in B.C., bringing the total number of cases of COVID-19 to 2,446. (From May 16th to May 18th, 16 new cases were announced) The total number of people who have recovered from COVID-19 in B.C. is 1,975. The joint statement will be posted on the Ministry of Health newsroom later today – https://news.gov.bc.ca/ministries/health
The Provincial Health Officer is looking for your help as she surveys British Columbians on their own personal response to COVID-19. You can participate in the survey – Your Story, Our Future – at: http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/covid-19-survey.
Positive News Story!
School District #36 – Surrey
Students of all ages in Surrey are becoming accustomed to remote learning, and teachers are finding creative ways to tackle every subject at home. Elementary students have been sizing up household objects for their math classes, comparing and contrasting sizes to illustrate measurement – from food to toy trucks to rocks and everything in between. https://www.surreyschools.ca/NewsEvents/Posts/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=832
- May 15 – News release – Part time return to school for K to 12 students to begin on June 1st – https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2020PREM0026-000890
- May 6 – B.C.’s Restart Plan news release – https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2020PREM0026-000826
- May 6 – As part the Restart Plan news release, the province outlined the Ministry of Education’s five stage approach to supporting students, families and staff in a backgrounder – https://news.gov.bc.ca/files/BG_Parks_and_Sites_and_In-Class_Learning.pdf
- Check out the Good News in Education webpage: https://www.gov.bc.ca/safeschools/goodnews
- The BC Centre for Disease Control’s COVID-19 dashboard: http://www.bccdc.ca/hea…/diseases-conditions/covid-19/data
- The Ministry of Education Keep Learning website – https://www.openschool.bc.ca/keeplearning/
- “7 Tips for talking to kids about COVID-19”poster on the Fraser Health website – https://www.fraserhealth.ca/health-topics-a-to-z/coronavirus/resources#.XqHcNc5KhPZ
- May 15 Updated – Frequent Asked Questions “Continuity of Learning in the K-12 education system” – https://www.gov.bc.ca/safeschools
- Education Minister Rob Fleming announces on March 17, 2020 in-school classes are suspended until further notice. The Minister’s letter to parents and staff can be found at: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/education/administration/kindergarten-to-grade-12/safe-caring-orderly/218690-covid-letter.pdf
- Information about COVID-19, including information for schools and families, is regularly updated on the BC Centre for Disease Control site: http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/childcare-schools
- All joint statements from Provincial Health Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry and Minister of Health Adrian Dix are posted here: https://news.gov.bc.ca/ministries/health
- The Provincial Pandemic Coordination plan: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/health/about-bc-s-health-care-system/office-of-the-provincial-health-officer/reports-publications/pandemic-provincial-coordination-plan.pdf
- KIDS and COVID-19 QA:http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/coronavirus-(novel)#For–schools–and–childcare
- Ministry of Health response plans – https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/health/about-bc-s-health-care-system/office-of-the-provincial-health-officer/current-health-topics/pandemic-influenza
- Government of Canada – Novel Coronavirus in China Travel Health Notice: https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/health-safety/travel-health-notices/210