A regular update is provided to school districts from the Ministries of Education and Health to share with our school communities. Here is the update for March 26, 2020 which includes some frequently asked questions answered by the Ministry of Education on what continuity of learning might look like.
Today, Provincial Health Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry and Health Minister Adrian Dix announced 66 new cases of COVID-19 in B.C. bringing the total number of cases to 725. Note: 186 people have now full recovered from COVID-19. Read joint statement here.
Also, Premier Horgan and Mike Farnworth, Minister of Public Safety and Solicitor General announced they are using extraordinary powers under a state of provincial emergency to keep British Columbians safe, maintain essential goods and services, and support the Province’s ongoing response to novel coronavirus. They announced a series of ministerial orders to ensure a co-ordinated response to COVID-19 across all levels of government for the duration of the provincial emergency. It also includes a new list of essential services in B.C.
- Education Minister Rob Fleming announces on March 17, 2020 in-school classes are suspended until further notice. The Minister’s letter to parents and staff can be found at:https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/education/administration/kindergarten-to-grade-12/safe-caring-orderly/218690-covid-letter.pdf
- Information about COVID-19, including information for schools and families, is regularly updated on the BC Centre for Disease Control site: http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/childcare-schools
- All joint statements from Provincial Health Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry and Minister of Health Adrian Dix are posted here: https://news.gov.bc.ca/ministries/health
- The Provincial Pandemic Coordination plan: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/health/about-bc-s-health-care-system/office-of-the-provincial-health-officer/reports-publications/pandemic-provincial-coordination-plan.pdf
- KIDS and COVID-19 QA: http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/coronavirus-(novel)#For–schools–and–childcare
- CBC Kids along with the PHO produced a kid-centric Q and A video about COVID-19:https://www.cbc.ca/kidsnews/post/watch-coronavirus-facts-versus-fiction
- Ministry of Health response plans – https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/health/about-bc-s-health-care-system/office-of-the-provincial-health-officer/current-health-topics/pandemic-influenza
- Government of Canada – Novel Coronavirus in China Travel Health Notice:https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/health-safety/travel-health-notices/210
March 25, 2020 Update
Provincial Health Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry and Health Minister Adrian Dix announced 42 new cases of COVID-19 in B.C. bringing the total number of cases to 659. Here is the joint statement on the Ministry of Health newsroom: https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2020HLTH0107-000563